Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Updating with the updates.

Things I've done recently:

* Turned 30. With very little fanfare. Spent the evening in the Bay with people who like me. My take on aging: 30 seem about the same as 29.

* Ran the Bay to Breakers. OK, we jogged, but we jogged the whole way and finished in about an hour and a half. We were 1,000 people shy of making the paper. Next year, next year.

* Saw Iron Maiden. With Anthrax opening. It is amazing how many people still love metal. LOVE! METAL! It just makes me want to thrash my head around and growl like a tiger. Highlight of the night: "Run to the Hills." Ironic moment of the night: A crowd full of metalheads chanting along to "Anti-social."

* Wii bowled for the first time. I was competing in the blogger Olympics, which I lost, but not for lack of trying. Let me say this: Wii bowling in easier, and therefore way more fun than real bowling. But not when you do it all lazy sitting-on-the-couch like. Plus, being in someone's living room is less fun that being in a bowling alley.

* Came across this great diagram that really shored up some of the questions I had about beer. Interesting, no?

* Bought Roky Erikson's "Halloween (Live 1979-1981)." My quick review: Proto-punk goodness from a guy who was from Austin before Austin was cool. This wasn't the album I wanted (that would be "The Evil One") but it was the one I found. Love it. I'm a big fan of live albums when they're done right and for the most part this one is. The recording quality gets a little sloppy toward the end, but the rest of the album more than makes up for it. My fave: "Two Headed Dog." "Bloody Hammer," is a close second.

1 comment:

Rachael .O. said...

I am late to the table and just found your blog! We were honored to spend your birthday with you- now you must join me for my 30th as well,