Thursday, June 19, 2008

When we become product.

Stumbled across this post, which got me thinking about consumerism (which I've been doing a lot lately) and how I hate that I love to buy things.
No, that's not quite right.
I hate that I feel like I need to buy things.
That's not quite right either.
I hate that I feel like I need things. And that sometimes (not all the time) I cave to those feelings and buy things. And then after, I mostly feel good about it.
Are we following?
It's not that I feel like I should feel bad after. I mean, it's my money and I should be able to do with it whatever I want. It's more that I don't like that I feel the need in the first place. I don't like that things appeal to me on a anything more than a practical level.
Are we following now?
These days it's mostly crap stuff I buy. Clothes. Recently, a pair of tabi (look it up) shoes that I convinced myself I needed for Aikido. Before that was pair of jeans, which I probably did need, but still ... I bought a terribly expensive watch once.
I've gotten rid of a lot of my "consumer baggage," I think. I don't feel compelled to see EVERY SINGLE MOVIE that comes out opening night. And I used to, seriously. I don't buy music as much as I used to either. Even if it is the new album from my favorite band. I never really got into video games, so ...
I'm still putting these thoughts together in my head and trying to be honest in how they figure in to the way I lead my life.
It's just sometimes it feels like all I do is spend money. All I do is buy stuff.
On a related note, if you're interested, there is this book, which talks about some of this stuff.

No comments: