Thursday, December 27, 2007

Back at work post no. 1

Christmas is so over.
Vacation is so over.
Sucks to all that.

Some thoughts:

Spent a day at Disneyland, which is full of magic, yes. I hadn't been there in 11 years (since grad-night) and my, things have changed. Well, Disneyland itself is totally the same, but now there's all this California Adventure stuff and something called, I think, Downtown Disney, which is essentially a bunch of stores and restuarants just outside Disney's door. There's a House of Blues. Had a great time, yes, mostly due to the company. If I don't make it back for another 11 years, things will be fine.

Hightlights of the day: Tower of Terror (times two). They cancelled the Believe in Holiday Magic holiday fireworks. Boo! Disney ruined my Christmas.

***

Spent a night at some divey-ass bar in Costa Mesa. Though, I felt pretty safe there, so it wasn't really a dive bar at all. But it was a beer-drinker's kind of place. There was 140 beers on tap, no Pabst, a loud juke box, playing mostly bad music, pool tables and shuffle board and saw-dust on the floor. Totally dirty in that hipster-hangout sort of way. Lots of interesting types trying to hit on all out ladies, which we let them do mostly because it was funny. There might have been some dancing. Then out of nowhere some dude was telling us we needed to get out. I guess it was closing time. I did a ninja roll on out of that place quick.

Highlight of the night: The pool-playing dude with the Oakland Raiders vest, listening to his little earbud headphones. He had a goatee. And a great tan. One of those gloves pool sharks wear. And mistletoe on his hatband.

***

Driving home on the 99 and I'm following what looks like a dump truck. From the back end it looks like a dump truck, and as I pass it I notice there's all this "stuff" sticking out all willy nilly, which apon inspection I realize are hooves and tails from what I can only assume are lots of dead cows. Lots of dead cows. I'm not one to get all "meat is murder," but it was pretty fucking gross. Well, it was mostly unreal. People use the word surreal all the time, and mostly they're douches, but this was totally surreal. The question is: Where did these cows come from? And where are they going?

***

Driving around on Christmas day is a trip, because there's no one around. Like, everyone is with their families, except the people who don't have families, right? So, I'm driving to see my family and I pass this lady walking down the middle of the street just balling her eyes out. Like, full on tears. Not full-body-I'm-crying-so-hard-I-can't-breath tears, because obviously she was walking. It was like she was in a trance. A crying trance. Totally wierd. And sad.

***

2 comments:

Rebek said...

did you soar over california?

That guy said...

I did soar over California. And like an asshole I kept asking, "Is this Napa? Is this Monterey? Ooo! Is this Orange Cove?"

Also: The scent-sprayer-dealy was toatlly broken everywhere we went smelled like pine.