Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fun on the road.

Riding my bike down Palm Avenue and somewhere north of Clinton this truck pulls over on the side of the road. He's sort of stopping of haphazardly, and I see this and before the car is even stopped the driver cranks it into park, flings open the door and starts yelling.

At me.

"Did you flip me off? What's wrong with you dude? You're gonna flip me off? Why'd you flip me off? What's your problem man?"

Picture him red-faced and panting.

As I ride by: "Um. I didn't flip you off."

I ride a few blocks more and realize that this guy is following me, which must look weird to everyone else cause even if I'm riding fast, he's driving slow. Eventually he gives a little honk and I look over my shoulder and he motions for me to pull over.

So I do.

And so does he.

He rolls down the passenger window and starts in again with how I flipped him off and what was I thinking and what was my problem.

And I say: "I don't know what you're talking about."

Which was the truth. Because before he pulled over, I hadn't seen the guy on the road at all. I don't remember passing him, or waiting with him at a light. Or FLIPPING HIM OFF.

So I say, "Sorry, I don't know."

Then he says, "My mistake then. My mistake," then stares at me for a bit, then drives off. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not. The look on his face said, "Still fuckin pissed," but the tone in his voice suggested he was kind of confused about the whole ordeal.

I'm left with so many questions. Like, what did he expect was going to happen, even if I had flipped him off? Was he looking for a fight? Because if so, he gave up pretty easily. And again, if I had flipped him off, what had happened during his day to make him chase down a complete stranger, on a bike, just to confront them about it. Really dude, is it worth all that?

No comments: