Thursday, July 10, 2008

The demon sun pt. II: The demon heat

Because everyone else is doing it and because it's Fresno and July and there's pretty much no escaping it, I need to write about the heat.

Truth is: I don't really mind it. This is not to say I don't/won't complain about it. So, don't worry, you'll hear me bitching as much as the next guy. About how hellishly hot it is. "Hotter than shit," I like to say. But when it comes right down to it, when you're out in the thick of it at 6:30 p.m. doing Aikido in Chris Hein's back yard, it ain't that bad.

"That" being a very subjective word, I know.
I guess the "bad" is pretty subjective too.

Would I rather it be 75 degrees with a breeze? Of course.

But there is something kind of awesome in the oppresivness of it, the way it weighs you down, wears you down, tires you out. There's something romantic about it too, says Chris Hein. In that down-south sitting-on-the-porch-drinking-mint-julep kinda way. I sort of agree.

Plus, I kinda love the feeling when you first get in your car and you're burning, literally burning. It's like how some people like the smell of gasoline. And there's that moment when you think you can't take any more. But then you do, right? There's the rub. The human body has an awesome cooling system. It's called sweat. And yes, it is gross. But if you get over that it totally works and makes things liveable. Just keep hydrated.

3 comments:

atout said...

no no no no!

after reading your post i tried to think optimistically about the heat, but then i remembered stepping outside of my house at 8 this morning into sticky 90 degrees and instantly pouting.

my boss is the same way as you though. perhaps even more. he actually loves the 114 heat, thrives in it. he will never use the air conditioning in his car and today was so excited that it's going to break another record.

i just don't get it. but, i do like mint juleps!

turboladen said...

Sometimes when it's all sticky hot, for some reason I think of Florence, the lack of A/C's anywhere, how couples would ride their Vespas to cafés and just chill, because it was too nasty to stay in your no-A/C apartment. And sometimes that convinces me it's cool to endure the nastiness of Fresno heat waves. But then I remember that I have A/C in my apartment and I'm not in Italy and I don't have a Vespa.

biz said...

sweating isn't gross! but maybe i think that way because i'm convinced it's good to sweat since i'll drip (sometimes profusely) with any amount of exertion. and i'm also a fan of the sun and they go hand in hand. mugginess? no. sun? mm hmm.