Sunday, November 18, 2007

The play is indeed the thing, isn't it?

Went to see "Childe Byron" at Severence on Friday.

So, a quick review: Started off a little weak. There were some acoustic problems with the venue (Severance School of Dance) and at times it seemed like the actors were speaking another language. But once I got over that, the story was good, the acting was fine. Overall, enjoyable, yes.

But here's the thing: Once upon a time, in my highschool days, I was all about the theater, did the whole highschool play thing (no, no musicals), visited the Shakespear festival in Oregon. I started my college career thinking I wanted to be an actor. Took a class or two (and was well recepted by my professors, I might add). Then I met Martin Paul and a bunch of guys from the Collegian and suddenly writing seemed a lot more...

Anyway, watching this play on Friday, I remembered what it was I liked about theater. How powerful it could be. How words, spoken words, can come together for something truly meaningful. You don't really get that feeling much from television or film all that often (if ever). But with theater, it's all right there.

I also was remined of the things I don't like about theater, but that has more to do with theater-ites, er...thesbians.

So, I want to write a play. Joe Meno wrote a play based on "The Boy Detective Fails". Or vice versa, I don't remember which.

If him, why not I?

No comments: