Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On the road

There is nothing like a road trip to make you realize you like music, which I had sort of forgotten, what with my broken stereo and my love for a.m. radio. But I borrowed the roomie's car this weekend, rolled down the windows and drove East to the 101 and out on to the coast.

The playlist:

* Old 97s, Blame it on Gravity

I love Rhett, but I'm obsessed with Murry's "Color Of A Lonely Heart Is Blue."

* She and Him Vol. 1

This is pretty close to perfect music in my mind. It has all nostalgic trappings of 1950s and '60s, but is totally contemporary. Zooey's voice is pure magic.

* Roky Erikson and the Explosives, Halloween (Live 1979-1981)

Roky's voice is unbeatable. There's no two ways around. One of my favorite voices in rock music bar none. Singing along makes me happy.

* One Day as a Lion

Big bass-ass beats. There's a Black Sabbath quality to a few of the songs, which I like. It's no Rage, say the Rage fans.

No comments: