Monday, December 1, 2008

From class reunions

The thing you learn from going to your 10-year (or 11-year) class reunion is:

* People get old, quick. I don't mean in that I-used-to-play-football-but-now-I-have-a-desk-job-so-all-that-muscle-turned-to-fat-and-gave-me-a-big-ole-fat-face way. This is more a matter of spirit. These people have resigned to act their age. Whatever that means. Marriage and kids and soccer, from the looks of it. Terrible haircuts and too much makeup for the ladies. Button down shirts (top three buttons open and roll up to the elbow) and expensive jeans for the dudes. Joining the Lions Clubs or some shit. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective, but if that's how old I'm supposed to be, I don't feel my age.

* We're all the same. All that crap that separted us in highschool doesn't really matter at a certain point. All the cliques and ego, it all sort of goes away. We all get humbled, I think, and can finally relate to each other on an even level. Now, that doesn't mean some people aren't idiots still. It just means they're idiocy doesn't have the power it used to. Realizing that can be a liberating thing.

No comments: