Monday, March 10, 2008

An update, if only for the sake of updating.

Ok.

So, the Rogue Festival is done. Four sold-out (or near sell-out) shows and one so-so show at a bigger venue that happened last minute that I don't really count for much other than fun, fun. We made some hard-core money (not that I was in it for the money) and were generally applauded for the work.

YAY!

Now, I haven't acted since high school, so this was a re-debut of sorts. I'd never planned on doing theater again, and probably wouldn't have if not for the Rogue and the context in which the project was presented to me. I don't have the urge to deal with auditions and directors and all that. It's just not my scene.

It was odd being back on stage. Not at all how I imagined it. It was actually quite comfortable, maybe even more so than when I was in high school. I don't know if it was the venue or the context or the cast I was working with (it was probably all of the above) but I never felt nervous during the whole run. Not even opening night.

Performing theater vs. performing music:

But I'm not sure I enjoy "acting" as much as I like performing as a musician. The two are not mutually exclusive, I know, but because the bulk of my performances (and I think of them as such) since high school have been musical, and because I haven't been playing music as of late, I found myself comparing the two. Music seems more immediate, which I like. I enjoy that you can learn a song, or write a song even, and perform it sort of ASAP, instead of having to spend months coming up with an idea, writing a script, memorizing, blocking scenes, blah-blah-blah. Music also seems more visceral, more physical (but that's probably just the kind of music I like to perform).

But the idea of theater, especially in the "Rogue" context (READ: Do-It-Youself), interests me and I am working on something with Will for next year.

No comments: